[BioPython] Bio.MetaTool

Michiel de Hoon mjldehoon at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 30 02:45:31 UTC 2008

Hi everybody,

Is anybody using the Bio.MetaTool module? If not, can we deprecate it?

The Bio.MetaTool tests suggest that this module was written for MetaTool version 3.5 (28.03.2001), while the most current MetaTool version is at 5.0. Since MetaTool is written for Matlab/Octave, and it seems to be out of data, I expect that few people are using it with Python.

Currently, Bio.MetaTool is the only non-deprecated module in Biopython that uses Martel. If we can deprecate Bio.MetaTool, then (over time) we can deprecate Martel, which means that Biopython won't need the mxTextTools any more, making Biopython's installation a lot easier.

--Michiel.