[BioPython] Parsing BLAST

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Aug 29 16:13:59 UTC 2008

Alex wrote:

> That's the problem I'm having... I want to keep FASTA format (so I can
> plug it into ClustalW, etc), which is difficult to do because of the
> newline after the fasta title.

If you want to put it into FASTA format, you can't use a CSV file
(unless you use embedded \n notation but I don't see how that would
help).  You could record the name and the sequence in your CSV file
and later extract these into a FASTA file for use with ClustalW.

I do still suggest you write out two files, a FASTA file and a
separate CSV file containing the sequence if you want this too.