[BioPython] Bio.Emboss

Michiel de Hoon mjldehoon at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 10 08:13:31 UTC 2008

Hi everybody,

I am looking at the remaining Biopython modules that use Martel for parsing.
Most of these have already been deprecated or replaced by alternatives. Without Martel, we can drop the dependency on mxTextTools, and make the Biopython installation a bit easier.

One of the remaining Martel-dependent parsers are in Bio.Emboss. There are two parsers, one for PrimerSearch and one for Primer3. Currently, both of these reside in Bio.Emboss.Primer; these are the classes in Bio.Emboss.Primer:

class PrimerSearchInputRecord:
class PrimerSearchParser:
class PrimerSearchOutputRecord:
class PrimerSearchAmplifier:
class _PrimerSearchRecordConsumer(AbstractConsumer):
class _PrimerSearchScanner:

class Primer3Record:
class Primer3Primers:
class Primer3Parser:
class _Primer3RecordConsumer(AbstractConsumer):
class _Primer3Scanner:

I'd like to split Bio.Emboss.Primer into a Bio.Emboss.PrimerSearch and a Bio.Emboss.Primer3 module, with an InputRecord and OutputRecord class in Bio.Emboss.PrimerSearch, a Record class in Bio.Emboss.Primer3, and a read() function in each. This function would then do the parsing, without using Martel.

Any objections?

--Michiel