[Biopython-dev] [Biopython] Presenter for Biopython Project Update talk at BOSC 2016?

Christian Brueffer christian at brueffer.de
Mon Apr 4 10:12:14 UTC 2016

On 2016-04-02 11:06, Peter Cock wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 4:20 PM, Christian Brueffer
> <christian at brueffer.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Authors: We've had some debates about this in the past. I'm OK
>>> with listing just the presenter and the "Biopython Contributors",
>>> or we again try to include anyone making major contributions to
>>> the talk slides or to Biopython in the last year (i.e. the work being
>>> shown in the update talk).
>>
>> I remember the author discussion from last time;  the current author
>> line is last year's with my addition.  From a contributor point of view
>> I think it would be very motivating to be included in an update talk
>> like this for major contributions.  That leaves the question of how to
>> measure major contribution :-)  Stuff that made it into the NEWS file?
>
> That seems fair and roughly what I was thinking, if we don't go for
> the simple "named presenter and un-named contributors" route.
> You're right that where to draw the line is going to be hard - but
> improving recognition of contributors is why we started the policy
> of listing everyone for each release announcement and the NEWS
> file.
>
> Note that the plan would be for the slides to go up on the BOSC
> F1000 Research Channel which puts each author in the meta
> data f1000research.com/channels/BOSC
>
> Using the NEWS file to determine major contributions is a good
> idea, but so far that rarely links any new feature to a person
> explicitly (GSoC being the most obvious exception). We could
> try to do that in future if people feel it would be a good thing in
> general.

Considering the extended deadline is close, I'll leave the author line
as is for the submission process (minus Joao as requested), since I'd
like to check with everyone whether or not they're OK with being
included (plus affiliations etc).

However, I'll update this as per discussion as we go along.

I hope that's acceptable to everyone in the short term!

If there are not more comments or improvements, I'll submit the attached
abstract in a few hours.

Cheers,

Chris