[Biopython-dev] [Biopython] Presenter for Biopython Project Update talk at BOSC 2016?

Christian Brueffer christian at brueffer.de
Fri Apr 1 15:20:43 UTC 2016

On 2016-04-01 16:17, Peter Cock wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 3:01 PM, Christian Brueffer
> <christian at brueffer.de> wrote:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> thanks for the explanation; co-presenting would be fine with me.
>>
>> Based on Joao's abstract from last year I have created a version for
>> this year:
>>
>> https://github.com/cbrueffer/talks/tree/master/2016_BOSC/abstract
>>
>> Feedback and pull requests very welcome!
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Chris
>
> Quick work!
>
> https://github.com/cbrueffer/talks/blob/master/2016_BOSC/abstract/abstract.tex
>
> Minor: Insert hard line breaks into the tex file so its easier to read
> on GitHub in the raw form?
>
> Minor: LaTeX quotes are weird, use ``=='' (back tick, back tick,
> text you are quoting, apostrophe apostrope) not "==" (using the
> double quote character). This dates back to early fonts where
> those characters also looked like left and right quotation marks.
>
> Authors: We've had some debates about this in the past. I'm OK
> with listing just the presenter and the "Biopython Contributors",
> or we again try to include anyone making major contributions to
> the talk slides or to Biopython in the last year (i.e. the work being
> shown in the update talk).
>
> If you want to email round the PDF to make it easier for others to
> comment, its currently about 200kb which should be fine but will
> need manual approval by a moderator (e.g. me, Tiago, Brad).

I incorporated your suggestions, thanks!

I remember the author discussion from last time;  the current author
line is last year's with my addition.  From a contributor point of view
I think it would be very motivating to be included in an update talk
like this for major contributions.  That leaves the question of how to
measure major contribution :-)  Stuff that made it into the NEWS file?

Abstract PDF attached, as suggested.

Cheers,

Chris