[Bioperl-l] [gsoc-2014] Presentation

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 27 10:29:41 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 6:09 AM, Israel Leiva <israel.leiva at usach.cl> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> My name is Israel Leiva, I'm a computer science student at University of
> Santiago, Chile (more personal info on [1]). I got here by the Google
> Summer of Code. I have a good knowledge of Perl (+5 years) and databases,
> and I think OBF (and in particular BioPerl) is a very interesting project,
> quite enough to spent the summer coding! You can check some of my codes on
> [2] or in my CPAN profile [3] (two modules, one mine, one "adopted"). Some
> of the project ideas that captured my attention were "Convert BioPerl-DB to
> DBIx::Class", eventhough I have no experience with DBIx::Class but I'm
> willing to learn :). The other one was the "Major BioPerl Reorganization,
> Part 2". Both of them seem to involve lot of work, so I'll apreciate any
> guidelines and/or feedback concerning these ideas, how to get started with
> BioPerl and see if I'm suitable for this year's gsoc.

I'll let someone from BioPerl answer that...

> One last thing, the links for browsing the "bioperl-live" code and
> subprojects are broken in the "open-bio" wiki.

Where are these broken links please?

> After some searching I found links to a github repo
> and a redmine, which one should I consider official?

BioPerl development is now on GitHub, using a git repository.

For reporting bugs, BioPerl is still using Redmine, (and the GitHub
issue tracker has not been enabled), see also:
http://bioperl.org/wiki/Bugs

(At some point a migration from Redmine to GitHub seems possible,
we're doing this slowly for Biopython - while BioRuby already moved.)