[Bioperl-l] Phylip format error

Bernard Cohen b.l.cohen_home at btinternet.com
Mon May 20 18:49:50 UTC 2013

Hello!

I happen to have checked to see what the PERL webpage says about Phylip format for DNA alignment files and see that it is erroneous.

I am not a PERL user and do not want to be bothered to register or otherwise learn how to make an official comment, so forward this for someone to pick up.

Phylip format allows up to 10 spaces for taxon names; the data must start in the 11th space. This can be checked on Jo Felsenstein's site.

The PERL page accessed by searching for "Phylip format PERL" allows only 8 spaces for the name.

B. L. Cohen