[Bioperl-l] get geneID for gene names

Hermann Norpois hnorpois at googlemail.com
Wed May 2 17:42:05 UTC 2012

Hello,

I wish to get gene IDs for gene names (e.g. bdnf, copg). I thought it was a
good idea to use Bio::DB::EUtilities (see below) and addressed UNISTS as
database because there it was quite easy to find the gene ID. So far I was
unable to retrieve the gene ID from UNISTS. Could anybody give me a hint
how to proceed? The cookbook ... Yes, I was trying.

#!/bin/perl -w

use Bio::DB::EUtilities;

my $name = "Copg";
my $factory = Bio::DB::EUtilities->new(-eutil  => 'efetch',
                                       -db     => 'unists',
                                       -term   => '$name AND mouse [ORGN]',
                                       -email  => 'hnorpois at mpipsykl.mpg.de'
                                       )