[Bioperl-l] bioperl wiki spam

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Tue Mar 15 03:12:16 UTC 2011

On Mar 14, 2011, at 7:37 PM, George Hartzell wrote:

> Dave Messina writes:
>>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Do it.
>
> Do it^2.  You have better things to do than waste time on spammers.
>
> It's nice to not have the bar too high for new folks, but in this age
> of spam I think people understand.
>
> g.

I've disabled new account creation unless OpenID is used; apparently this has worked elsewhere to cut down on spam.  All old accounts are still active, but I think new users will be prompted to tie an OpenID to the account.

Anyway, if that doesn't work we'll go to the next step (account verification).