[Bioperl-l] The Power of R

Dr. T. I. Simpson ian.simpson at ed.ac.uk
Wed Jan 7 14:55:59 UTC 2009

I agree with Chris on this.

Used RSPerl about a year ago to integrate some clustering experiments in R
with a Perl script that fed data to R and picked up output, but it was
mighty painful and accessing R objects through RSPerl was indeed a PITA.

Ian.

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 13:26:14 -0000, Chris Fields <cjfields at illinois.edu>
wrote:

> Not to bash this, as it is a decent piece of software, but...  : >
>
> 1) Painful to install, and doesn't support a local perl installation
> (keeps attempting to go back and use my 5.8.8 instead of my local 5.10).
> 2) Not on CPAN.
> 3) Though this is supposed to be bidirectional, R from Perl is not well
> supported and apparently does not work for Windows.
> 4) Doesn't appear to be well-supported in general.
>
> I do not intend on writing a full perl suite for R/BioC analyses if I
> end up having to work around problems with the critical module.
>
> -c
>
> On Jan 6, 2009, at 11:34 PM, Boris Umylny wrote:
>
>> What do you think of RSPerl (http://www.omegahat.org/RSPerl/)?
>>

>> Boris
>>

>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Fields" <cjfields at illinois.edu

Dr T. I. Simpson
School of Biomedical Sciences
University of Edinburgh
Hugh Robson Building
George Square
Edinburgh
EH8 9XD

ian.simpson at ed.ac.uk

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.