[Bioperl-l] trunk version vs. branch version

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Mon Feb 2 21:28:41 UTC 2009

On Feb 2, 2009, at 1:51 PM, Dave Messina wrote:

>> ...Kind of what I'm thinking, which is a nicer middle ground (it is
>> pre-1.7,
>> and is a stable target).
>

> Yes, that makes sense.
>
> So in this case then, devs wanting to require trunk (as opposed to
> release)
> could say
>
> use Bio::Root::Foo 1.6.9;
>

> to explicitly target trunk (assuming 1.6.9 is the VERSION given to
> trunk)
>
> or they could say
>
> use Bio::Root::Foo 1.6.1;
>

> which would mean trunk OR any 1.6.x point release that might be
> released
> along the way to 1.7, thereby avoiding the need to reset the version
> requirement when the a point release comes out.

Alright, then, I've set trunk to what we'll call 'pre-1.7', or
v1.6.900 (1.006900); gives us more than enough chances for point
releases (I hope we don't need more than 900).  ;>

Other svn distributions main trunk code likewise requires core
1.6.900.  If there is overwhelming support we can rename it 1.006009
(1.6.9).