[Bioperl-l] Packaging Bio::Ext::HMM for CPAN, was Re: Problems with Bioperl-ext package on WinVista?

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Wed Aug 19 05:28:39 UTC 2009

On Aug 18, 2009, at 11:13 PM, Robert Buels wrote:

> Yee Man Chan wrote:
>> I think it is better to keep Bio-Tools-HMM within the Bio-Ext
>> package and then spin this whole Bio-Ext package out to CPAN. I am
>> ok with Robert's arrangement to move the related pm files under Bio/
>> Tools/ to the new Bio-Ext package.
>
> The long-term development plan is to factor *ALL* of Bioperl into
> individual distributions similar to Bio-Tools-HMM.  It is actually
> much easier to maintain and release code in this "broken up" way.
>
> This means that the Bio-Ext package is going to go away, so it
> doesn't make sense to keep Bio-Tools-HMM in it.  Chris, other core
> devs, do you agree with this?

In general, though there will be a limit as to how small we can split
these off.  For instance, Bio::Tree/TreeIO will be messy to split up
and makes sense to keep together.  Others could be more easily split
off.  YMMV.

>> I have a PAUSE already due to my other CPAN contributions. So there
>> is no need to create a new one. My PAUSE account is UMVUE.
> Oh good, the next step would just be to coordinate when to do the
> release in concert with Bioperl 1.6.1, right?
>
> Rob

Yes.  That should be easy enough to do; basically Bio::Tools::HMM will
be removed from 1.6.1, then core will be released along with
Bio::Ext::HMM (or Bio::Tools::HMM, either way it would double as the
distribution name).