[Bioperl-l] Install help errors

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Tue Jul 8 18:35:38 UTC 2008

On Jul 8, 2008, at 11:29 AM, snoze pa wrote:

> I agree with you. There is no clean installation help of the
> bioperl/biosql/bioperl-db available. If you read the biosql INSTALL
> file and follow what is written then you will find database name
> biosql. However if you read the mysql entry in same page then you will
> find the name of the data base is bioseqdb. For new bee in the area it
> is not only difficult but also  confusing.

That's useful feedback. In fact it sounds like there is a
documentation bug (inconsistent documentation is a bug, IMHO). Would
you mind filing a bug report (BioSQL has its own queue now)?

> I am trying a clean installation of bioperl/biosql/bioseqdb but still
> there is no success. If I assume the installation is done then it
> always crash on DBSOURCE entry.  The load_sequencedb.pl crashes every
> time when I encounter with sequences like

Could you post the error message? The entry you quote in reality is a
Swissprot (or Uniprot) entry sucked up into GenPept, so it's possible
that it's the BioPerl genbank parser that's failing, not bioperl-db. I
recall that we've had issues with these records before, though I don't
recall what the actual cause was, nor the recommended fix. Is there a
requirement that prevents you from loading these entries in their
native Uniprot format?

	-hilmar