[Bioperl-l] Priorities for a bioperl-1.6 release

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 12 17:02:13 UTC 2008

Now that SVN migration is complete and a BioSQL 1.0 release is
imminent (congrats Hilmar and Heikki), I would like to get a new
bioperl core release out the door soon, preferably by the next BOSC
meeting, end of summer by the latest.  One major issue that all the
core devs have right now is time, or a serious lack thereof.  I, for
instance, will be moving into a new research position in the next few
months or so.  I'm assuming Jason, Hilmar, Heikki, Sendu, and the
other core developers are facing similar time constraints.

In that light, we need to decide whether we are planning a new 1.5
release, or if we want to start a new stable (1.6) release.  With the
latter, we need to define very specifically what needs to be
accomplished for that release, and it needs to be realistic with the
timeframe above in mind.  I would also like to extend the invitation
for anyone who wishes to help to join in.

For my vote, I would like to release a new stable 1.6; 1.5.x has been
around for too long and the end goals were never really defined
clearly (something we need to keep in mind for the next dev release).
I also vote for separating out experimental/untested/undocumented/
unmaintained modules into a separate 'bioperl-dev' release (the 'here
be dragons' of bioperl).  I believe it would help the core release
cycle tremendously.

Issues raised in the past just off the top of my head (add more as
needed):

* perl 5.10 compliance (appears to mostly work now)
* outstanding bugs (core only)
* GFF/GFF3 compliance
* BioSQL 1.0 compliance (impending)
* POD and test coverage
* smoke tests for bioperl-live/db/etc.
* smaller, more focused core (less dependencies)
* separating out experimental or poorly maintained modules into a
separate 'bioperl-dev' distribution
* bioperl-db issues with Bio::Species changes
* module maintenance
* sequence format roundtripping (i.e. genbank, embl, swissetc)
* additional sequence parsers (insdcxml, etc)
* enhancement requests in bugzilla (Albert?)