[Bioperl-l] bioperl: cannot run emboss programs using bioperlon windows

Rohit Ghai Rohit.Ghai at mikrobio.med.uni-giessen.de
Thu Nov 1 18:06:48 UTC 2007

Thanks for all the suggestions... but I unfortunately still cannot run
emboss. I am running the latest version of embosswin  (2.10.0-Win-0.8),
and the
path is set correctly. I printed $ENV{$PATH} and this contains
C:\EMBOSSwin which is the correct location.
I also tried setting the path directly but I'm not sure how to do this,
so I tried this...

my $fuzznuc = $f->program('C:\\EMBOSSwin\\fuzznuc');

this also did not work.

Also tried printing...
$fuzznuc->executable()

gave the following error again
-------------------- WARNING ---------------------
MSG: Application [C:\EMBOSSwin\fuzznuc] is not available!

Any more ideas ?

thanks !
Rohit

here's the code...

use strict;
use Bio::Factory::EMBOSS;
use Data::Dumper;

#
# print "PATH=$ENV{PATH}\n";
# path contains C:\EMBOSSwin which is the correct location
# embossversion is 2.10.0-Win-0.8

 my $f = Bio::Factory::EMBOSS->new();
 # get an EMBOSS application  object from the factory
 print Dumper ($f);
 my $fuzznuc = $f->program('C:\\EMBOSSwin\\fuzznuc'); #tried fuzznuc.exe
as well,
 print Dump ($fuzznuc);

 #dump of fuzznuc
 #$VAR1 = bless( {
 #                '_programgroup' => {},
 #                '_programs' => {},
 #                '_groups' => {}
 #              }, 'Bio::Factory::EMBOSS' );

 #print "executing -- >", $fuzznuc->executable, "\n" ; # doesn't work

 my $infile = "temp.fasta";
 my $motif  = "ATGTCGATC";
 my $outfile = "test.out";

 $fuzznuc->run(