[Bioperl-l] Creating PPD's from CPAN Bundles

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Tue Sep 26 16:24:17 UTC 2006

Chris Fields wrote:
> To tell the truth, I wouldn't worry about the bioperl-1.4 PPM.  So much has
> changed between the two versions that I think more users would switch to
> 1.5.2 anyway.  And there have been a ton of bugfixes, code improvements, etc
> since bioperl 1.4.

This doesn't matter; we still claim that bioperl 1.4 is the latest
stable release. People will continue to chose to install the release
that is claimed as being stable.

1.5.2 is a developer point release to try out experimental new features.
It may contain many bug fixes, but because it also contains new things
it can't be used in a production environment. 1.4 can; most of its
problems are that some things no longer work because file formats etc.
have changed since its release, but what /does/ work is at least known
reliable (presumably).

1.6 will be tested and polished into the ground, and we can recommend
everyone install that. 1.5.2, not so much. It contains known bugs.