[Bioperl-l] Speed of bioperl mailing list distribution

Jason Stajich jason.stajich at duke.edu
Sat Apr 22 13:11:53 UTC 2006

(ChrisD will probably be offline for a few days with some server
issues for his company.)

One reason for the slowdown can be greylisting.  See http://
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greylisting  - We have enabled greylisting so
mails to the list from new IP addresses will take longer the first
time a message is sent because the server requires the sender's SMTP
server to reconnect to the OBF server a second time.  This cuts down
dramatically on spam that is sent by transient IPs or by spammers and
we feel that the short delay is better than the reams of spam we had
to moderate in the past.  The CVS commits come from an internal
server so they will be already okayed without a retry.  Posts from
non-subscribers must wait in purgatory for a list admin to okay them
via the mailman software.  Currently myself and a few other people
monitor this and try and authorize posts as soon as possible.

There have been a few problems on the new mailing list and web server
due mostly to it not having a lot of memory installed.  This has
usually been the delay when the machine locked up and for us to do
our remote-reset of the box.   You would have also noticed that the
website was unreachable during that time.  It appears that Chris has
installed the new mem yesterday so we hope this will be less of an
issue in the future but we are still trying to investigate whether
there is a memory leak in some of the software or if this was all due
to the low-memory conditions.  This usual the problem with long
mailing delays are a server problem and nothing particular that a
user has to worry about.

-jason