[Bioperl-l] BioCorba and phylogenetic trees

Jason Stajich jason.stajich at duke.edu
Wed Oct 12 14:11:14 EDT 2005

On Oct 3, 2005, at 10:40 AM, Rutger Vos wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am curious about the following:
>
> * what's the status of BioCorba, and how does it relate to BioPerl

It was a good idea but CORBA + WAN just doesn't work.  And really
nobody really ended up ever having a real use case where they wanted
to have BioJava server but wanted to run Bioperl on it or vice versa
(or s/Perl/Python/ in there).  There are client/server libraries for
wrapping and accessing objects in the three languages, but that
development stopped years ago and the APIs of the projects have
continued to evolve so I don't know if the libraries are compatible
any more.

> * have bioperl-corba-clients and/or bioperl-corba-servers
> succesfully been deployed on Win32? Using CORBA::ORBit?

Yes i believe so, but don't quote me on that, it was years ago when
we actually went for full testing client/server stuff.  CORBA::ORBit
on linux of course worked fine.

> * are there IDLs for tree objects/data structures in BioCorba?

When we started there were no tree objects in BioPerl, I don't know
if the OMG project ended up with that or not.  I have stepped away
from all of this two or three years ago so I don't really know what
has been going on.

I think a lot of people would argue for SOAP over CORBA -- this
certainly seems to be the trend in what is going on.  But I really
don't do distributed/web services so am not the right person to comment.

> Some background: I'm "the perl guy" in this project: http://
> www.phylo.org
> We are looking to integrate phylogenetics software using corba.
> It'd be good if we were compatible with BioPerl, hence the questions.
> Cheers,
>
> Rutger
>
> --
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Rutger Vos, PhD. candidate
> Department of Biological Sciences
> Simon Fraser University
> 8888 University Drive