[Bioperl-l] Application using Bioperl

Law, Annie Annie.Law at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Wed Jan 28 15:42:47 EST 2004

Hi,

I would appreciate help on the following.  I would like to create a small
application that would involve Excel XP on
Windows 2000, and
Bioperl and mysql on RedHat linux 9.0

The database will consist of clone IDs, accession numbers, and unigene IDs,
and allow a user to
add his own personal annotation as well.  Later on, I would like to annotate
with other information as well.

I am trying to map things out and see if all of the parts in my application
will fit together prior to doing
too much developing.

Basically my main concern now is to create the flow of information.
There is the Excel workbook part and then there is the UNIX mysql database
part.

Writing a shell or perl script in the linux environment that will ftp files
from unigene, locuslink
Etc and then user bioperl to parse the data,
Then use perl DBI to insert to information

Also using perl DBI to upload information from the Excel sheet (user's
personal annotation)
Into the database.

The part that I'm not too sure about is how to send the information from the
Excel sheet to the database
And how to grab the information from the database and update the Excel
sheet.
On top of that I am using two different operating systems.

Are there some tools in VBA or in perl that I could use to build this bridge
or

I am using Excel since there are functions within Excel that are useful.

Thanks for your help,
Annie.