[Bioperl-l] Restriction Enzyme cuts on Circular plasmids

Gray, John John.Gray at stjude.org
Thu Oct 30 09:48:59 EST 2003

Sorry, the code I pasted in my last email was missing some hard returns.  It should have looked like this:

## Make circularity function properly AGAIN!!
## $concat is set to the length of the recognition sequence -1
$concat = 5;
$sequence = uc ($& . (substr $sequence, 0, $concat-1));

The additional sequence must then be later removed from the appropriate fragment.  (Here I am only after the length of the fragments):

## Cut the sequence with the restriction enzyme object.
@fragments = eval{ $re->cut_seq($seq); };
$@ && die "\n*** TROUBLE CUTTING:\n$@\n";

## pull lengths from array of sequences
my @fraglen;
my $i = 0;
foreach (@fragments) {
        $fraglen[$i] = length $_;
        $i++;
        }
## Sum first and last fragment lengths due to circularity, remove last
$fraglen[0] = $fraglen[0] + $fraglen[@fraglen-1] - $concat;
pop @fraglen;

John T. Gray, Ph.D.
Director, Vector Development & Production
Experimental Hematology Division
Hematology-Oncology
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
D2038A, Mail Stop 341