[Bioperl-l] Bio::Tools::Run::StandAloneBlast

James Wasmuth james.wasmuth at ed.ac.uk
Thu Mar 27 11:39:09 EST 2003

Hi Luc,

you'll want to use the SearchIO module which is easier and more powerful
than BPlite.  In the @params of the Blast search add '_READMETHOD' =>
'Blast'.  Then go to the HOWTO section and checkout the SearchIO.
http://www.bioperl.org/HOWTOs/html/SearchIO.html

the output from the blastall will already be a SearchIO object if I
remember right.

hth

Luc.Gauthier at aventis.com wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I am currently trying to write a small tool to locally run NCBI Blast. I
>quickly found out about the "Bio::Tools::Run::StandAloneBlast" module and
>decided to use it. I am using Bioperl v1.0. Now what I would like to have as
>the final result is the plain raw blast result, as it is normally generated
>when running blast as a unix command-line tool.
>
>The reason why I want to do that is that I want to wrap that small tool as a
>SOAP web service that can be remotely called. One would call a simple method
>and get the plain raw blast result back.
>
>I am new to Bioperl and the answer to my problem may be quite simple ... I
>just can't find out how to get the raw blast report from the BPlite object
>reference I get back when calling the "blastall" method from a
>StandAloneBlast factory.
>
>Can someone help ???
>
>Thank you very much in advance and have a pleasant day !
>Luc Gauthier

Nematode Bioinformatics
Blaxter Nematode Genomics Group
Institute of Cell, Animal and Population Biology
Ashworth Labs
University of Edinburgh
King's Buildings
Edinburgh