[Bioperl-l] introducing news.open-bio.org and new Bioperl news system

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Fri Feb 28 16:16:01 EST 2003

Hi folks,

As the first step in figuring out what the heck we are going to do to
make our websites more up to date and useful we've rolled out a system
that allows anyone to add news items that will automatically get
published to multiple Open-Bio affiliated websites.

I think the new system is pretty cool; it is based off of standard
'blog' software from www.movabletype.org and allows us to do things we
could not do before like:

o anyone can post news
o news from all OBF projects is aggregated in a central place
o we can feed customized news data directly into our standalone project
websites
o we can view news from multiple projects and efforts in one page

The O|B|F core news server is at:
http://news.open-bio.org

A "bioperl centric" news page lives at:
http://news.open-bio.org/bioperl_news.html

The last 15 'bioperl' news entries are automatically inserted into the
front page of our bioperl website at http://bioperl.org/ every 15 minutes.

This is what I need from people on this list:

o General feedback on the new site and news system

o BioPerl members who volunteer to post news and manage the 'bioperl'
news category. You need to contact me or 'root-l at open-bio.org' to get a
user account on the new system.

Please let me know what you think. This whole system is pointless if
nobody makes use of it and Hilmar, Jason, BrianO and I are the only ones
entering news items!

Regards,
Chris

--
Chris Dagdigian, <dag at sonsorol.org>
BioTeam Inc. - Independent Bio-IT & Informatics consulting