[Bioperl-l] Bio::Ontology overhaul

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Wed Feb 26 19:07:03 EST 2003

On Wednesday, February 26, 2003, at 06:00  PM, Paul Edlefsen wrote:

> Regardless of whether <whatever>IdentifiableI is ever adopted, it
> seems that some consistency is worth striving for.  It's really not a
> big deal if it's hard to change, but since you are soliciting
> comments, my comment is to wonder why we would have TermI's identifier
> be unique and OntologyI's identifier be arbitrary, when OntologyI's
> name is unique.

Hmm - you do have a point here. I probably wrongly think that people
will read the documentation of methods before assuming arbitrary things
about them ...

So, maybe I should rename identifier() to something that suggests more
arbitrariness?

In fact, I could get rid of it altogether; it is largely an artifact
from my ill-conceived OntologyStore attempt to remove the memory cycles.

Does anyone want OntologyI::identifier() (whether under this or another
name)?

	-hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org