[Bioperl-l] Bio::Annotation::SimpleValue, keywords()

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gnf.org
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 17:03:31 -0700

Two ideas/proposals in one:

1) RichSeqI::keywords is currently implemented as keeping the string
as one, no splitting into individual keywords. In a database (yeah,
here's biosql) however, one would rather want to store them
separately I think. In a sense, keywords are an ontology. Also they
are annotation. I propose to stick keywords onto a sequence's
AnnotationCollection, using e.g. tag 'keyword' and class SimpleValue
(but see below).

2) Bio::Annotation::SimpleValue actually resembles an ontology term,
doesn't it? Well, not always probably (thinking descriptions and
alike). If SimpleValue is not an ontology term itself, then what
about adding Bio::Annotation::OntologyTerm, which would just adapt
Bio::AnnotationI to Bio::Ontology::TermI?

I'm thinking about how to best store gene names in biosql ... they
presently come as Bio::Annotation::SimpleValue, and I think we want
them end up in an ontology.

	-hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org