[Bioperl-l] Proposed route to 1.2

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 16:08:08 +0100 (BST)

We have to get 1.2 before NCBI deprecate their old style web services
(Jan2003). I would like the following rough schedule:

   Late Oct, Early Nov - New features checked in (can be destablising) but
frequent make tests ensure our test shakedown remains easy. In particular,
Shelly and the rest of the Windows testing team - staying up to date and
make test regularly would be good

   (could anyone put a make test on a cron job on a number of machines?
doable Chris? doable on Windows?)

  From now - Mid Nov - Peter and Brian can document the new added features
(Bio::Perl, Ontologies, OMIM) that have been added

  Mid Nov- feature freeze declared, check-ins should be elaborations and
tweaks on feature set; API goes "semi slushy" so that Bioperl-db and
Bioperl-pipeline can seriously test compatibility

  End of Nov - serious testing shakedown starts - I will look very, very
disfavourably on any feature-like things being "slipped in" - they should
wait for the 1.3 development series and 1.4 - slated for April/May 2003

  Linc,Jason,Heikki and hilmar - sounds sane? Any thoughts?

  Elia - requirements/thoughts from you guys?

  - Any big "must get in" pieces (please so no!)

  Allen/SteveC - how should bioperl-expression work with this?

ewan