[Bioperl-l] What is a Bioinformatics API?

Chester Langin langin@cs.siu.edu
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 15:21:25 -0600

I'm supposed to use an API that is consistent
with what others are using.  Of course API is
Application Programming Interface.  I have
experience with two kinds of API's.

1)  If I'm using a developers' library, the
API is the list of functions and parameters
which I use to access the code in the library.

2)  If I'm at a game programming contest, the
API is the list of functions and parameters
which I use to tell the server what my moves
in the game are.

I guess that a Bioinformatics API would be
the list of commands which a script can use
to access my http port to get information
from my database.  Therefore, if I use GMOD
then I am automatically using a consistent
API.  Am I close?

<http://cs.siu.edu/~langin> <langin@cs.siu.edu>
~~~Diagonally parked in a parallel universe ~~~