[Bioperl-l] Blast stuff

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 10:13:47 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, Steve Chervitz wrote:

> Ewan,
>
> The merging does in fact refer to adding psiblast parsing functionality to
> blast.pm so that psiblast.pm can be obsoleted and we can simplify the SearchIO
> code base. Yes, this is a destabilizing change in the short-term, but
> stabilizing in the long-term.
>
> Jason and I have been talking about targeting this for 1.2, but I'm having
> doubts because it is a fairly major undertaking, and there's time pressure to
> release 1.2. So I think we'd all be more comfortable if it was done first in a
> developer's release to allow for more testing.

Yes - I agree. I think this has to happen in the 1.3 to 1.4 series.

> As for work on the objects produced by the parsers, I've already committed code
> that allows the generic search objects work with the writers (specifically to
> allow GenericHits to undergo HSP tiling).
>
> Perhaps the best strategy for 1.2 is to focus on testing the GenericHit HSP
> tiling and beefing up the SearchIO docs. The psiblast.pm -> blast.pm merging
> would then be deferred until after 1.2. Sound good? (BTW, what's the target
> date for 1.2?)

This sounds ideal. 1.2 release date is targetted at 31st Dec 2002 ;) (one
day before NCBI supposedly switch off their older web tools). I want to
realistically have at the very least, very solid release candidates if not
the whole thing by mid Dec. Does not seem impossible to do.