[Bioperl-l] Re: [Bioperl-guts-l] problems with Bio::DB::GenBank

Boris Lenhard Boris.Lenhard@cgb.ki.se
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 19:59:39 +0100

> Ah ha!
>
> You are retrieving an EST from dbEST.  I confess I didn't
> try your code example so I wasn't really very much help was I....
>

> Your options w/ bioperl as I see them:
>
> a) Try retrieving sequences with Bio::DB::EMBL
> b) fix this problem yourself and submit the fix back to bioperl for us to
>    commit (amid much praise and fame)
> c) download est sequence from ncbi blast db (huge) and use
>    Bio::Index::Fasta to do the same lookups locally (if you only want
>    sequence)
> d) download genbank release of dbest & updates and use Bio::Index::GenBank
>    to do lookups locally (if you want annotation as well as sequence)

There is another quick fix solution that I use for ESTs In the given
example:

$gb = new Bio::DB::GenBank;
my($id) = "AI834759";

# instead of $seqobj = $gb->get_Seq_by_id($id); do this:

$seqobj = $gb->get_Stream_by_batch($id)->next_seq;

When requested as batch, the sequences are in "normal" GenBank format
(plain text) instead of HTML that is dealt with by get_Seq_by_* methods.

Hope this helps.

Boris

 Boris Lenhard, Ph.D.
 Center for Genomics and Bioinformatics