[Bioperl-l] Bioperl hackathon?

Nathan Torkington gnat@oreilly.com
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 13:07:13 -0600

Nirav Merchant writes:
> >   Uh-oh.  Just checked - the prices for a room at the Westin La
> >Paloma is $350/night(!).  Five nights is nearly $2,000.
>
> There are many hotels around that part of Tucson and range from $80 to $400
> check. [You can easily take a cab to Westin for less then $10 ]
> http://tucson.realhotels.com/Catalina_Foothills_Hotels.htm
> http://tucson.realhotels.com/

The rate that O'Reilly has negotiated for attendees of the conference
will be considerably less than the rack rate you were quoted
($350/night is an outrageous gouge by the standards of anyone but Bill
Gates).  We also have a recommended travel agent who knows how to get
cheaper hotels.

We don't discriminate against people who don't stay at the conference
hotel, and it is possible to have your conference attendance be quite
cheap (for instance, registration fees are waived for presenters).
We'd dearly love to have people present on BioPerl and related topics,
by the way (plug! plug!), and if you have recommendations for speakers
or session, feel free to suggest them.

I'm researching the exact hotel rate for you, and should have an
answer later today.

Cheers;

Nat