[Bioperl-l] PrimarySeq, Seq fixes

Jason Stajich jason@chg.mc.duke.edu
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 17:08:15 -0500 (EST)

After reading some more IO documentation I realized
there are some other options:

solution 1:
remove Tempfile creation,
replace line to wrap $tfh into FileHandle with the following:

     my $fh = IO::File->new_tmpfile();

Not sure if this work on Win32 or Mac and I'm not sure where the
temporary file is stored exactly so I'm guessing its not the best
solution...

Solution 2:
Keep using File::Temp;
replace use of FileHandle as the following:

   my $fh = IO::File->new($file, O_RDWR);

Both work on linux 2.2.17 x86 running perl 5.00503 and
solaris 2.7 running perl 5.6.0

I think File::Temp says that problems with #2 are that can't guarantee
that filename will not be used again by another process - using filehandle
is better, but I think as long as we don't close the filehandle until
after a new one is opened on the file, there is no problem.

So I will implement second solution unless anyone has suggestions or
comments to the contrary or can think of how other solutions might work
better.

-Jason