[Bioperl-l] Bioperl NT update

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gmx.net
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 11:10:18 -0800

Peter Schattner wrote:

> > What is the problem with precomputed results?
>
> Perhaps I don?t understand what is meant by precomputed results.  I
> assumed you meant making a file with the answers that the test program
> expects and using those answers if the OS is non-unix.  That approach
> seems less maintainable than simply skipping the tests if the OS is
> non-unix.

I'm not sure either what you mean. Trying to be clear, I do not mean
setting up a file with the output you expect from the test script. I
meant, instead of calling out to an executable clustalw, precompute the
output said executable is supposed to produce, capture it in a file and
feed this file into your module. This way your module can be tested on
any platform, and it can also be used on any platform whether or not
clustalw and friends are there, provided the user has means to obtain
the results from another machine than the one he runs bioperl on.

This of course requires that your modules can accept either a stream
containing input or a pipe fed by one of the external executables.

Am I missing something?

	Hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                                email: hlapp@gmx.net
GNF, San Diego, Ca. 92122                  phone: +1 858 812 1757