[Bioperl-l] added Bio::SeqIO::largefasta

Jason Stajich jason@chg.mc.duke.edu
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 08:54:47 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> Jason Stajich wrote:
> > will make a copy of the fasta file to your tmpdir (as defined by
> > File::Spec->tmpdir) which if overly large could make your machine very
>
> Hm. I recall someone claiming that tmpdir() is in that module or its
> submodules even though it's not really documented. However, 'grep -i
> tmp' on these .pm files doesn't reveal the hidden place ...
>
> use File::Spec;
> print File::Spec->tmpdir, "\n";
>
> gives
>
> Can't locate object method "tmpdir" via package "File::Spec" at - line
> 2.
>
> I'm running Perl 5.005_03; do I have to upgrade File::Spec from CPAN to
> a newer version, or where the hell is tmpdir()?

Okay, it is located in File::Spec::Unix, File::Spec::Win32,
File::Spec::MacOS even though it is not documented in File::Spec, go
figure.  But I am running perl 5.6 -- that is really weird that it is not
present in 5.005_03 I am pretty sure when I was running that version I was
able to use the same call....  But if you are getting errors, I'll have to
setup a fallback in an eval block.

Will do today.