[Bioperl-l] Bio::SeqIO::game

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 08:27:21 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> Unfortunately not. I also don't know the internals of the perl SAX
> interface, but in general SAX was exactly defined for one-pass
> chunk-by-chunk stream reading. Does the perl SAX parser not adhere to
> this concept, or are there pecularities of the GAME DTD that prohibit
> this?

It is the GAME DTD which does not provide a "parse unit" tag (I think) and
I think this is a clear bug in GAME. As people have noticed, if we dump
ensembl in GAME (feasible now) then loading the whole thing up in a non
chunk by chunk way will be murder (this is about 10GB of data).

I would propose that either <game>  </game> becomes an official "parse
unit" tag or that the game people figure out another tag that we can chunk
on...