[Biojava-dev] Website organization

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 19 11:14:28 UTC 2016

Good points Spencer,

We've been through a lot of this with the Biopython wiki migration,
and still have work to do - see our website issues at:

https://github.com/biopython/biopython.github.io/issues

One suggestion is you (or keen volunteers) may want to
enable the Google Webmaster tools:

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/

This requires proof of ownership by adding a token file
to the website, e.g.

https://github.com/biopython/biopython.github.io/commit/f173c02dd803bda0f45776f91fd535ff70bd85c1

This was helpful in flagging a lot of broken links, many of
which we've fixed by adding redirects, e.g.

https://github.com/biopython/biopython.github.io/commit/60d7023592616e632e967bfd41b71ee9367c0709

Others are defunct links we're not able or don't want to
resurrect  (like many of the wiki special pages), so I've
been adding them to our robots.txt file, e.g.

https://github.com/biopython/biopython.github.io/commit/d0535a5d843f0d17b5fa66e2f00557bc1493ee20

Peter