[Biojava-dev] biojava3 sequence tools

Andreas Prlic andreas at sdsc.edu
Wed Aug 11 15:58:15 UTC 2010

thanks for the replies. I was trying to see how to improve a web-form
into which the user can paste in any type of sequence and the server
selects the correct version of blast to run...  I will probably use a
check how many % of the sequence are looking like they are
nucleotides. Unlikely to find a longer protein sequence that just
consist of ATCGs ...

Andreas

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 1:26 AM, Andy Yates <ayates at ebi.ac.uk> wrote:
> Building a Sequence object which can contain AminoAcidCompound or NucleotideCompound is easy; the return types makes this incredibly hard since we'd have to return Sequence<Compound> which forces the user to start casting to a more useful type. Every auto detector I've known gets it wrong since they all apply arbitrary thresholds to decide the switch.
>
> However if the need is there (which I'm sure for writing some interfaces there are) something can be knocked up quickly I think.
>
> On 11 Aug 2010, at 05:46, Mark Schreiber wrote:
>
>> I think SeqIOTools had a method for this, possible also available in
>> RichSequence.IOTools.
>>
>> As Richard says, not guaranteed to work in all cases.
>>

>> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 12:05 PM, Richard Holland <holland at eaglegenomics.com
>>> wrote:
>>
>>> You mean an auto-detector that takes a String input, guesses based on
>>> content what it is, and returns a Sequence object of the appropriate type,
>>> being Protein or DNA etc.? Not that I know of. A bit hard too - if all the
>>> letters in the String are a valid subset from two or more alphabets (e.g.
>>> ATCG are all in the Protein alphabet as well as being DNA), how do we know
>>> which one it is?

>>> --
>>> Richard Holland, BSc MBCS
>>> Operations and Delivery Director, Eagle Genomics Ltd
>>> T: +44 (0)1223 654481 ext 3 | E: holland at eaglegenomics.com
>>> http://www.eaglegenomics.com/

> --
> Andrew Yates                   Ensembl Genomes Engineer
> EMBL-EBI                       Tel: +44-(0)1223-492538
> Wellcome Trust Genome Campus   Fax: +44-(0)1223-494468
> Cambridge CB10 1SD, UK         http://www.ensemblgenomes.org/

Dr. Andreas Prlic
Senior Scientist, RCSB PDB Protein Data Bank
University of California, San Diego
(+1) 858.246.0526