[Biojava-dev] Hi.. Calling Java from Perl

Andy Yates ayates at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Jul 28 21:54:17 UTC 2009

Hi Abhi,

Well to answer your first question the only real way to do this is by
shelling out to Java. Inter-process communication could then be dealt
with by writing to temporary files or maybe communicating back over
STDOUT.

The question I would ask you though is what particular part of BioJava
are you using? Is there any reason why another similarly named Bio
project (shall not mention it here as I think people think I'm
becoming weak when it comes to Perl) cannot be used? As always when
programming avoiding shelling out to another program if possible is
always a good idea; sometimes it cannot happen say if you want to run
clustalw but say shelling out to delete a file is unnecessary.

Andy