[Biojava-dev] ant tasks

Matthew Pocock matthew.pocock at ncl.ac.uk
Thu Oct 16 10:04:06 EDT 2003

Hi,

OK - we got into a mess this week (all right, I got us into a mess this
week) by adding a new ant task - sablecc. You all saw the messages from
people who couldn't make things work. So, we now have a solution to the
problem of non-standard ant tasks we will need.

I've added a directory called ant-lib to biojava-live. In here goes the
jars for all non-standard ant tasks that we use (so far, sablecc). Then,
we put these jars into a classpath property on the taskdef element in
build.xml that loads in the task. Hey presto! A more self-contained
build process. It gives us great flexibility over what versions of tasks
get loaded, and whould put an end to us finding that junit v x is
incompattible with tasks compiled against version y, or so we hope.

The other option was to bundle a custom ant, to bundle a batch script
for launching ant, or to rely on people downloading all the right ant
tasks, none of which seem apealing, or have a good chance of working
consistently.

If you think this is a bad idea, complain early and loud before I get
too used to this.

Matthew