[Biojava-dev] Biojava GUI

Kalle Näslund kalle.naslund@genpat.uu.se
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 11:46:12 +0100

Jim Johnson (CCGB) wrote:

> I've been interested in adding more features to the biojava GUI.
> I would also like to see the development of applications that
> can be launched through JavaWebStart.
>

> I like Jalview as a model of what we could add in GUI package:
>
>   Mutliple views of the datamodel.
>   Coordinated selection that would be represented in all views.
>   Properties such as various color models that could be coordinated
> across views.

In theory you can already have multiple views of the same datamodel =) (
i have just tried it a tiny
bit so i dont know how well it works in reality, the code might need
some polishing here and there ).
Basicly, nothing stops you from connecting the same Sequence object to
several SequencePanels
and then just set different ranges and scales on those.

When it comes to coordinate selection that can be represented in all
views, a simple solution is just
to make a simple SequenceRenderer that renders a BOX or similar to mark
the selection, and just
share that renderer between the different views. An alternative is to
have different renderers but have
them share a common swing data model. If i remember correctly i think i
have something like this
lying in some directory, i could try to dig it upp if people think it
would be usefull.

So, hopefully it wont be hard to get multiple views and selection
working well.

Standardized color models would be a good thing to have, i have always
found it annoying to
have to "mix" my colours myself, and i seem to always get the shade
slightly different from
other apps =).

regards Kalle