[Biojava-dev] Location deprecated methods

Schreiber, Mark mark.schreiber@agresearch.co.nz
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 12:12:55 +1300

Hi -

If nobody has any complaints I would to suggest that the deprecated
Location methods be either removed or undeprecated. From memory they
where all deprecated when we realized the system was buggy and switched
all the operations to LocationTools.

Now that the Locations methods actually use LocationTools the deprecated
label is not really needed.

Out of habit I use LocationTools as I was burned when Locations didn't
work properly but it's probably more elegant to use the intersection,
union etc operations from the Location. If this is the case the
deprecations can be removed. If this is done the Location javadocs
should be updated to strongly recommend that implementation of these
methods is best left to LocationTools.

The alternative would be to remove these methods from the interface
altogether and get everyone using LocationTools. I tend to prefer this
but probably its just due to habit.

Finaly I see no reason why the symbols() method should be deprecated. It
works and it's functionality of producing a SymbolList isn't really
replaced by blockIterator(). I'd like to undeprecate it.

Any strong views either way.

- Mark

Mark Schreiber PhD
Bioinformatics