[Biojava-dev] version of JUnit

Keith James kdj at sanger.ac.uk
Thu Feb 13 10:49:00 EST 2003

    Moses> Hi all, What version of JUnit are we assuming for
    Moses> development? I wrote a test recently without the public
    Moses> Classname(String name) {} constructor because that is a
    Moses> feature of JUnit since 3.8 I think (maybe even earlier, I
    Moses> don't remember the exact version they added that
    Moses> improvement). However, someone added the constructor later
    Moses> because they were having compile problems, because they
    Moses> were using an older version of JUnit.

The majority of the existing tests were written against JUnit 3.6 and
3.7. As you say, constructor became optional in 3.8.

The full set of changes are at

http://junit.sourceforge.net/README.html

    Moses> I'd rather write tests without the clutter of that
    Moses> constructor, but if we need to be compatible with an older
    Moses> version of JUnit then I will include it in the future. Is
    Moses> there an official/semi-official/not-so-official policy on
    Moses> this?

There's no official policy yet... Not knowing which version the
majority of people are using, I would suggest including the
constructor for purposes of backwards compatibility. As the changes go
beyond the constructor (several assert methods were added) I think we
should set date for an upgrade if there is a desire for the new
features - perhaps post 1.3 release?

Keith

--

- Keith James <kdj at sanger.ac.uk> bioinformatics programming support -
- Pathogen Sequencing Unit, The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, UK -