[Bio-packaging] Distributed file system and experimental cluster

Ricardo Wurmus ricardo.wurmus at mdc-berlin.de
Wed Feb 10 09:47:38 UTC 2016

Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public66 at thebird.nl> writes:

> Anyone experience with distributed file systems, such as moosefs,
> glusterfs etc.? I want to try something reasonably easy to install and
> manage and has striping or chunking.

What do you want to achieve with a distributed file system that could
not be achieved with centralised storage?  In the configurations that I
worked with distributed file systems are only used for volatile scratch
space.  Everything else (e.g. user software, home directories) uses
either centralised storage or is node-local (e.g. the centrally managed
system state).

That said, I only ever worked on distributed file systems as a user.  I
was never in charge of setting up a distributed file system.

~~ Ricardo