[Bio-packaging] Distributed file system and experimental cluster

Pjotr Prins pjotr.public66 at thebird.nl
Wed Feb 10 08:38:05 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Anyone experience with distributed file systems, such as moosefs,
glusterfs etc.? I want to try something reasonably easy to install and
manage and has striping or chunking.

We are building up an experimental test cluster - that means we have
all rights to experiment. If you want to be part of it we can share
the facility.  The idea is to build up experience so we can convince
others to do the right thing ;). You can even run jobs or use it as a
Guix build farm.  I am the only one responsible for these machines.
Roel and I are the active administrators.

The cluster is hosted in a hacker space. The idea is to have
'throw-away' setups which can be rebuilt with GNU Guix. Currently we
have 8 nodes (each 8 core, 24 GB, 3TB each), and I have another 10 or
so nodes with large storage coming up. I also want to run Arvados Keep
storage.

Currently the nodes are running Debian stable, but I want to make it
so that we can run any image, at least support containers and kvm.

Pj.