[Bio-packaging] Ruby support in GNU Guix

David Thompson dthompson2 at worcester.edu
Sat Jun 13 18:06:13 UTC 2015

Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public66 at thebird.nl> writes:

> Hi Dave,
>
> I am sending this to you since you are modifying ruby.scm.
>
> Attached a patch for Ruby 2.1.6. It works for me. This is to try
> developing and supporting gems that do not necessarily work with Ruby
> 2.2.2. Straight advertising for the Rails people.
>
> We ought to add Ruby 1.9 too. But, I think I can live without ;)

1.9.3 might be good, too, but I don't know how much version
proliferation we can deal with.  Four versions of Ruby and four versions
of most gems would be a bit out of hand, IMO.

Your patch looks good.  You should send it on over to guix-devel at gnu.org
for good measure and I'll apply it.

Now, we need something like 'package-with-python2'.  I think it should
be a procedure that accepts a ruby package and a gem package.  It will
replace the version of ruby used to build each gem in the dependency
tree.  For efficiency, the procedure will be memoized to avoid a lot of
duplicated work.

If I may change the subject slightly, I'm curious about your work on
Nokogiri.  I haven't yet figured out how to build a gem that has the
native extensions packed within.  We must avoid the normal rubygem
method of building the native extensions upon installation.  Do you know
how to do this?

Thanks!

--
David Thompson