[BioSQL-l] a biosql/biojavax localization question

David Scott david at autohandle.com
Mon Jul 3 17:55:58 UTC 2006

sure hilmar-

in the genbank taxonomy file - nodes.dmp:
ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/pub/taxonomy/taxdump_readme.txt
there is a field:

GenBank hidden flag (1 or 0)            -- 1 if name is suppressed in GenBank entry lineage

this field controls whether the level is included in the taxonomy
hierarchy when the genbank ORGANISM section is generated - but the more
general problem trying to be solved is:
o parse genbank entries
o store parsed entry in biosql
o pull parsed entry from biosql
o (re)create the genbank entry
o compare the recreated entry with the source document for identity.
well - ok - almost identical.

there are several parameters missing from biosql to make this possible.
the general approach to a solution has been:
o alter the biosql table to add a new column (a sql ddl file)
o add a private get/set for the column in the biojavax object (a java file)
o add the column to the biojavax hibernate o/r mapping (an xml file)

to help others that might have the same objective, and to accomodate
those that don't wish these nonstandard columns  - it is planned to
release the o/r mapping files with the additional columns/fields
commented out - these xml files along with the java files are checked
out with cvs. it was not clear what to do with the ddl files - and it
would be helpful to have them reviewed - no matter what is done with them.

thanks for helping me - i just assumed you were late in responding
because it is summer - and, well - you were in the the south of france
soaking up the sun.

looking to you for suggestions-
david