[BioSQL-l] location type

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gnf.org
Sat, 12 Oct 2002 16:17:59 -0700

For certain location types, specifically fuzzy locations, the
additional attributes (min_start etc) are stored as
Location_Qualifier_Value entries.

If you don't know in advance whether a location is a fuzzy location,
you need to make an extra hit to the database for every location
just to find out most of the time that there are no extra attributes.

To alleviate this I propose to add to SeqFeature_Location a FK to
Ontology_Term denoting the type of the location. We'd need to agree
on a standard ontology for location types too. E.g.,

	FuzzyLocation
	SplitLocation
	ExactLocation

Or, which thinking about it I'd even prefer, the location types
known to Bioperl:

	EXACT
	IN-BETWEEN
	WITHIN
	BETWEEN

The problem with this is that you can have a fuzzy location of type
EXACT (because position type and location type are not the same).
Hence, one would have to extend this to make it a combination of
location type and position types. E.g., <loctype>;<start-
type>;<end-type>:

	EXACT;EXACT;EXACT
	EXACT;BEFORE;EXACT
	WITHIN;EXACT;BETWEEN