[BioSQL-l] Remote locations

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gnf.org
Sat, 12 Oct 2002 15:59:47 -0700

To identify the sequence for remote locations there is now a table
Remote_Seqfeature_Name with two attributes accession and version,
and an identifying FK to Seqfeature_Location.

I propose to replace this with a nullable FK in SeqFeature_Location
to DBXRef. At the same, I propose to add an attribute version to
DBxref.

Here's why:
1) The current design takes only locations on seqs in the same
namespace (as it is implicit from
seqfeature_location->seqfeature->bioentry).

2) My proposal would treat the remote seq more as what it is (a
dbxref). At least IMHO.

3) The nullable FK to dbxref would be compatible with a nullable FK
to bioentry (if you, as I did in a local version, model dbxrefs as a
skeleton view on bioentries).

4) If necessary to improve performance, a nullable FK can be be
joined in in one hit (outer join), unlike an identifiable child.

Does anyone have objections? Also, comments/opinions appreciated. As
before, this change would only happen on the main trunk.

	-hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org