[BioRuby] [pjotr.prins at gmail.com: Revitalizing SciRuby]

Pjotr Prins pjotr.public14 at thebird.nl
Wed Apr 19 13:16:39 EDT 2023

On Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 02:54:04PM +0000, Fields, Christopher J wrote:
> Hi all, I believe the various Bio* mail lists are all active and still hosted by OBF, but very low traffic.  We just discussed in the OBF Board meeting whether it would be better to move to a forum-based platform for discussions (discourse or biostars, the latter which is used by the Bioconductor community).  It would be great to have some feedback from Bioruby developers on this.

Forums are centralised. Someone has to run them.

Mastodon and/or matrix could work. Both are federated, so we are not
delivered to single companies.

Even so, I personally like E-mail -- it is persistent, less intrusive
and filters are useful -- and use that as a TODO list. But it looks
like I am becoming an outlier. There is also public inbox

https://lwn.net/Articles/748184/

I kinda like it, as it is easy to deploy - essentially a git repo -
and it is in line with our non-github (but git-based) issue tracker

https://issues.genenetwork.org/

So, yes, we could move on and away from MLs and the github issue
tracker(s). Maybe public inbox could work - notifying mastodon
and/or matrix.

Pj.