[Biopython] help with ncbiWWW

Pejvak Moghimi pejvak.moghimi at york.ac.uk
Wed Jul 26 11:26:15 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I'm working on a script to to do blast using the ncbiWWW module, but very
often one query sequence takes way too long, if at all, to return with
results. This is always, in my experience, immediately solved if I just
stop the script and re-run it (for the same query sequence); I get the
results as quickly as I did for the other query sequences.

I think this hints that this is something to do with ncbi servers. So, in
order to tackle it, I need to simply modify my while loop to stop and
re-run the "ncbiwww.qblast(..." line, if it takes longer than a reasonable
length of time (I do understand shorter than a certain waiting-time would
not be allowed by ncbi).

I have no idea how to tackle this, except by either multithreading (not so
sure how to go on about this though) or changing the qblast script (locally
of course).

I would really appreciate any help. Please do let me know if you would like
to have a look at the script.

Cheers,
Pej.