[Biopython] Support for k-mer analyses?

Alexey Morozov alexeymorozov1991 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 11:14:02 UTC 2017

Dear Biopython users,
I wanted to add a support for k-mer analysis to Biopython, if it's gonna be
useful. I was thinking about some basic analyses, ie constructing k-mer
distributions from aminoacid and nucleotide sequences (or sequence sets), a
few distance metrics between them, classifying query sequences using this
distributions and such.
Does anyone actually need it? If you think you'll benefit from having such
methods available from Biopython (and not a separate lib), please drop a
few lines: what kind of analysis do you need, what sorts of file formats
would you  like Biopython to support and so on.

--
Alexey Morozov,
LIN SB RAS, bioinformatics group.