[Biopython] Question about using Gapped Alignment in Bio.CAPS.CAPSMap (Differential Cutsites)

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 16 10:00:03 UTC 2017

Hello Ester,

The bad news is that Bio.CAPS was written back in 2005 by
Jonathan Taylor, and has only had maintenance changes
since then. The module does not have an active maintainer.

http://mailman.open-bio.org/pipermail/biopython-dev/2005-February/001916.html
https://github.com/biopython/biopython/commit/46c87158da786ade74e2c3dc5771ea7308eb0d5a

I don't think Jonathan has been active in Biopython for some
years, but I have CC'd his old email address just in case (we
would also like to ask him about dual licensing his code).

My impression from the Bio.CAPS code and tests is that it
does not expect any gaps, and that each sequence in the
alignment should be the same length (which is what the
more recent code in Bio.AlignIO expects too).

Internally Bio.CAPS used Bio.Restriction for the EcoRI and
AluI digest enzymes, and I think that does not care about
upper versus lower case.

Peter